And of course, the fantastic accommodations and service was provided by Anglers Inn. It was great to see the all of the same friendly staff members such as Jose, Sammy, and Tony. Also, Anglers Inn purchased new boats that are absolutely ideal for fly anglers. The boats are configured with spacious, level front and rear casting decks and super comfy seats for each angler. Anglers Inn seems to keep raising the bar every year with incredible service and hospitality.
Finally, here is a recap of the top tackle that produced BIG bass this past season. The top flies this past season are as follows:
- Chewy Pop (yellow or white in size 2/0)
- Bisharat's Flat Fred (shad)
- Pultz's Popper (black over silver, black over chartreuse in size 2)
- Bisharat's AirHead (brown over white, chartreuse over white in size 1/0)
- Big Game Gummy Minnow (pearl in size 2)
- Clouser Minnow (chartreuse over white in size 2/0)
- Topwater: RIO Striped Bass (7 1/2 foot / 20#)
- Subsurface: RIO FlouroFlex (20#)
KEITH'S GO-TO SETUPS
- Topwater: Sage BASS (330 grain line), Sage 4580 reel
- Subsurface: Sage TCX 890-4, RIO Outbound Short Type 6, Sage 6080 reel
The bass will be going on the spawn soon at El Salto, which marks the close of primetime fly fishing season. The lodge continues to run strong for conventional anglers until July, but the spawn and springtime afternoon winds make conditions less than ideal for fly fishing tactics. So, with this said I look forward to another incredible fly fishing season at El Salto in Fall 2012 / Winter 2013. We already have weeks on the books for hosted trips, so if you are interested please drop us a line to inquire. Fish ON!