Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Recommended Guide: Andras Outfitters (NorCal / So. Oregon)

A robust Upper Klamath half-pounder!

This season, I had the wonderful opportunity to fish the Upper Klamath River with Jim and Rachel Andras of Andras Outfitters. Based out of Ashland, OR, Jim Andras offers guided fly fishing trips on the Upper Rogue, Upper Klamath, Lower Sacramento, and Trinity Rivers.

I have fished with many guides during my travels and can truly say that Jim is top shelf, as he is a consummate professional that knows his craft well. In addition, I appreciate guides like Jim that work hard to get his anglers into fish... often, he would jump overboard and hold the drift boat in position for me to effectively present my flies. While, in other runs he would make multiple passes (by back rowing upriver!) to cover the water systematically. This extra effort DOES make a difference in the outcome of a day of fishing. Needless to say, I lost count of the number of fish that I hooked that day with Rachel and Jim.

Finally, Jim Andras is just plain "good people"... in addition to guiding well (knowledge, skill, "mojo", etc.), he is a pleasant and enjoyable person to spend a day of fishing with. He has guided around the globe and has numerous interesting stories to share about his life of guiding.

So, if you are looking for a variety of northern California or southern Oregon winter/spring fishing options, I highly recommend Andras Outfitters for guide trip services. For Jim's contact info, CLICK HERE.

Rachel and Jim Andras